If you are facing jail time or serious penalties, your best option is to face the charges with the best criminal defense lawyer by your side. Putting up a defense on your own would be an exercise in futility. Even if you are extremely intelligent, competently defending yourself in a criminal trial is next to impossible. As it is, you already have a lot of worries in your mind.
No two criminal cases are identical; only the best criminal defense lawyer can easily spot why your case is unique and use it to your advantage. Likewise, he can identify certain facts and arguments that can help negate or mitigate the charges. Therefore, having a top rated criminal lawyer is the only way you can successfully defend against criminal charges.
The best criminal defense lawyer’s help is indispensable in the following areas:
- Negotiating a plea bargain – Plea bargains may significantly lower your sentence or dismiss some of the charges filed against you. Prosecutors may offer a harsher plea bargain or refuse to negotiate with you if you represent yourself.
- Figuring out a good sentencing option – A sentence that would keep you from serving the entire term would be a good sentencing option. For example, a judge may sentence you to jail for 6 months and then drug rehab for six months based on your attorney’s sentencing recommendations.
- Dealing with criminal trial-related emotions – You may experience stress, depression, embarrassment, low self-esteem, and fear after you are charged. A good criminal defense lawyer can help you cope with these emotions.
- Providing a reality check – A good criminal defense lawyer remains objective throughout your case and provides unbiased insights on what is happening and what can happen in the future. These insights are helpful when you’re trying to decide whether to accept a plea offer or go to trial.
- Pointing out relevant legal concepts, rules and cases – A lawyer knows the relevant legal concepts, rules and cases that you would miss, especially those buried deep within other laws and previous court rulings.
- Navigating your case through the complex legal system – Aside from the Arizona Rules of Criminal Procedure and any local court rules, there are also many “unwritten rules” that are unique to every jurisdiction. For example, your lawyer may save you time by knowing which prosecutor to talk to about a plea bargain when an “unwritten rule” dictates that only certain prosecutors are allowed to execute and approve plea bargains.
- Explaining the hidden costs to a guilty plea – If you represent yourself in a criminal trial, you may not be completely aware of the repercussions of pleading guilty. Even a mitigated prison sentence may cause extreme difficulties in finding a job after you are released.
- Gathering evidence and witnesses – Understandably, most potential witnesses would be hesitant in giving information to alleged perpetrators for fear that their safety might be compromised. Witnesses are more comfortable talking with a lawyer who can likewise convince them to testify in court.
If you find yourself in a situation where only the best criminal attorney will work for you, get in touch with the Law Offices of Gary Rohlwing, and find out what can be done about your case.
Additional City Resources: